Friday, June 17, 2011

Mr. Twain


Mark Twain once said:

Keep away from those who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you believe you too can become great.

The questions I have to answer are what are my ambitions and what do I define as great. The thing that bothers me is that if I do define something as great, yet other people don't see it that way, then it somehow becomes not great. I am not a people pleaser and I am black and white and believe in right and wrong. So if what I define as great seems wrong to someone else and they say so, then that idea of great is no longer great to me either because it has been deemed as wrong...which is not right.

Which goes back to Twain's first piece of advice: keep away from those that belittle your ambitions. So far, those people have masked belittling my ambitions by giving "advice" and suggestions on "making the smart choices".

Right now, I feel ambitious about a couple things. But they aren't the "smartest" choices according to some. Therefore, I don't do them because they are wrong. And I don't do wrong things.

Ewww...makes me sick.

Mr. Twain, please come back and explore this with me a little bit more. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs