Sunday, June 16, 2013

For those without their earthly dads.


As everyone knows, today is Father's Day. A day to celebrate and honor one of the greatest gifts on this earth: Dads.

But as I sit and think about how blessed I am to have my dad, I can't help but feel a sting in my heart for all those who don't have the "so claimed perfect" dad every time, I hear the words "Happy Father's Day" or see another post on Facebook about who has the best dad ever.

I know I don't know what that is like and I know I cannot fathom how different life would be without a dad or fatherly figure in my life, but I do know that it would be hard.  It would be hard to enjoy Father's Day and it would be even harder to feel happy for your friends who seem to all have those perfects kinds of fathers.

On one hand, I want to say I am sorry.  I am sorry for the way it makes you feel and I am sorry for the loss and absence of that figure in your life.  I am sorry for the pain that may have come with it and I am sorry for days you wonder if you are not worthy or good enough. I am sorry for the emptiness you feel and I am sorry for the anger or bitterness or hurt it may have scarred you with. I am sorry for the confusion and I am sorry for the brokenness.

On the other hand, I want to encourage you.  I want to say that I have so much respect and honor for women who have grown up to be beautiful, strong women despite their circumstances.  I want to say thank you for being brave. Thank you for being strong.  I know God has a special plan for those girls without their dads.  He knows you and he knows what will make you beautiful in His eyes. He has purpose behind each hardship, trial, and journey He has and will continue to send you down.

I don't know about other girls, but I do know that you are all stronger than I am.  You are all braver than I am and you are more courageous, bold and faithful. I hope you see yourself this way. I hope you see yourself as a girl, specially chosen by a King, to go down a path many girls would not be able to handle.  And I hope that you are using the journey for good. To strengthen the character, faith, and love of yourself and of others. You are worthy. You are beautiful and you are incredibly capable of so much good, influence and love in ways most people are not.

I hope that on Father's Day you grasp and cling to the love of the most important man, our Heavenly Father and that you know realize and accept that without a doubt you are in His hands.  There is no safer or radiant or better place to be.

Written in honor of a dear friend. The photos above are of her on her wedding day, walking down the aisle on her own.  It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever witnessed.  (Photo Credit: Lauren Ashley Photography)



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs