Sunday, July 8, 2012

A Lil' Perspective on "Things".


Some people look for hope and contentment in the world- things that are man-made.
Some people look for hope and contentment in God.

Me. I have hope in God. Real, unrelenting hope and faith.

But I keep trying to find contentment in and by the things of this world.

I was convicted of this today in church. Although the sermon wasn't, a home-runner for me, the service pastor at our church put this in perspective at the closing of the service.

The flesh and the heart are always in a constant battle. But what's important to remember is that by simply changing your perspective the enemy can become weaker. When we look at the things of this world from a heavenly perspective through the eyes of God, things of this world become a lot less powerful and influential.  

But I think it is important to mention here that I did not say things of this world become bad.  

So many of us have it ingrained in our heads that "things" of the world are bad, especially materialistic things. I don't believe that and I honestly don't think God believes that either. I don't believe God wants us to suffer and live in "poverty" because others are in poverty. I don't think when Paul wrote in the book of Timothy that "love of money is the root of all evil", he is saying money is bad. In fact, he doesn't say that at all. He says "the LOVE of money is the root of all evil".

There is nothing sinful about wanting a nice car and having a nice house. It is the perspective and meaning you have and give to those things that can lead to sin.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that just as much work can be done for His kingdom by those with a nice car and house than by those without. I choose to believe that Psalm 37:4 means what it says: "Delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart". And in Proverbs 16:3 which says, "commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed".  Did you read that?  desires of your heart and your plans.  God has set certain desires and plans within our hearts because it makes us who we are as individuals. Just because we have them does not mean they are inherently sinful plans or bad desires. In fact those plans and desires can be the more powerful tool in our lives.

I am pretty sure that the fact that I want to own every single Boy Meets World season on DVD is not a bad thing.  My desire and plans to travel and explore the world outside of missions are not bad and unGodly.   If somebody wants to become a successful president of some big-wig corporation...that is okay and can bring just as much glory to God as anything else.

It all has to do with perspective. I am challenged to look at things with a different perspective. I am choosing to not feel guilty for wanting nice things and desiring certain plans for my life. Instead, I will choose to check my perspective- look at them all from a heavenly perspective- so when I get my plans and desires or loose them, at the end of the day, I can still stay "God is more than enough."

My hope and contentment will still be rooted in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs